Wednesday, July 19, 2006

To-do list in Firefox Sidebar

Many times we miss out very obvious things and try to solve a problem using a method that is more cumbersome & time-taking. I have been searchig for a tool that will keep my To-do list always on my desktop. One way is to put them in Outlook Tasks list. Bu then one has to open it again & again to see the to-do's. Other way is to use scrap-pad of Google desktop. But in our company we are not allowed to install any software at all. :-(

I just came across the following article at erica's joys :)

This has solved my problem as most of the time I have to work with browser applications. Thank you Erica.

<-->

Whenever I'm on my Mac or Linux box, I miss the functionality of my Google Desktop Sidebar. I like being able to have a to do list, my Google calendar, and other various useful things right at my fingertips. I got to thinking about the Firefox Sidebar yesterday and how I could use that along with my Personalized Google page to make a sidebar I could use on any OS. Once I did it, I couldn't believe I hadn't done it sooner. I'm quite sure some enterprising person has already done this and it was posted on Lifehacker ages ago, but once again, its new to me. Anywho, here's what I did.

1) If you don't already have it, install Firefox.
2) Using Firefox, browse to http://www.google.com/ig
3) Line up all your Gadgets on the left, putting the ones you'll use most at the top.
4) Once you've got everything arranged, bookmark that page and give it the name Google IG.
5) Open Bookmarks in the toolbar and select Manage Bookmarks.
6) Highlight the Google IG bookmark and click on the Properties button.
7) In the Properties dialog check the box next to "Load this bookmark in the sidebar" then click OK.
8) Double click the Google IG bookmark and it should load in the sidebar.
9) Close the Bookmarks Manager and enjoy. :)

To make your Google IG book more accessible, your can put it in your Bookmarks Toolbar.

<-->

No comments: